I’ve been in Cape Verde for a month and i’ve noticed a few things;
1. Cape Verde is made up of 9 islands; Sal, Boa Vista, Maio, Santiago, Brava, Fogo, Sao Vicente, Sao Nicolau and Sao Antao.
2. The majority of Cape Verdeans don’t speak english. The official language is portugues and creole is widely spoken between locals. A lot of people speak french as there are a lot of immigrants from Senegal and Guinea Bissau. Because Spanish is a bit similar to portugues, if you speak it they would understand. For example in Spanish good afternoon is buenas tarde, in portugues it is boa tarde.
3. The currency in Cape Verde is the Cape Verdean escudo (#500 = 131.41 CVE)
4. Most Cape Verdeans don’t use Whatsapp, they use Viber or Facebook messenger instead.
5. The majority of Cape Verdeans are mixed race, the people have curly hair, men and women carry their natural hair in a ball of healthy fro and it looks great.
6. Cape Verdeans are very chill people almost chiller than the mexicans, even their national motto is “no stress” or in Portugese “Sem estresse”.
7. The fish in Cape Verde is absolutely amazing, from Garoupa fish with the red spots (my favourite) to Serra fish, it all tastes great and you can get a whole fish for $5 at a restaurant.
Cape Verde is the example of a developing country and things are only getting better, The island life is amazing and even if you catch corona right now, just say “sem estresse” and everything will be fine.
To learn more about Cape Verde contact me
Get my best stuff sent straight to you for free
PS: The information provided on this page is based solely on my personal experiences and should not be considered as legal advice. Five foot nomad is not liable for any misrepresentation or misinterpretation of any and all posts on its website.